Sometimes when you’re in the mood for something far east and savory you don’t have to travel that far to get it. This is my take on coconut curry chicken, and lets just say, it doesn’t have to cost more that $10 to be damn good.
Most people skip over the chicken thighs at the grocery store but honestly, they’re totally my new favorite thing! Inexpensive and loaded with flavor they even come boneless for the lazy and the perfect blend of white meat for the picky. Here’s what you’ll need.
- chicken thighs
- coconut milk
- coconut flakes
- white, brown, (eh lets be honest) leftover rice.
- spices: curry, coriander, onion powder, fresh ground pepper
- In a large wok pan, place your washed chicken things with a little bit of olive oil, pepper and onion powder and red pepper flakes to brown over medium-high heat.
- Once the chicken is close to being done, add in your coconut milk. I used a can version that was a little thicker and creamier that your “milk” version in the cold dairy section. Let boil.
- Now its time to mix in your remaining spices. Reduce to low heat.
- Now add in your cilantro and coconut flakes. You’re almost done.
- If the rice needed to be reheated I recommend using ziplock baggies to heat and portion in the microwave unless you make a fresh pot then rice should take about 10-15 min to boil. Remember with rice the ratio is 2:1. Two cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. Let boil and once the water and rice level are even you want to cover the pot to steam the rest for the fluffiest rice ever.
- Now its time to plate and enjoy! Add in some extra coconut if you’re feeling nutty or some red pepper flakes if you want to spice up your life!