Who would’ve thought spicy shrimp and cheddar grits would be the perfect pair? This quick and simple recipe is loaded with flavor and can debut at any time of the day, which is why this recipe is as good as gold. Shall we?
- 1-1.5lbs shrimp (deveined and peeled, tail on)
- 4oz of smoked beef sausage (or hot links for extra spice/ turkey for a leaner option)
- 1/2 red and yellow bell pepper, 2 whole habaneros
- 1/4 red onion
- cheddar cheese
- spices: red pepper flakes, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper.
- In a sauté pan heated to medium heat, pour a small amount of EVOO.Start a small pot of water to boil for your grits.
- Slice your sausage and drop it in. Let this cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Drop in your shrimp and sprinkle in your spices.
- While those are cooking, thin cut your peppers and red onions (julienne) and drop those in as well.
- Mix your shrimp mix around and make sure the flavors are fusing together. Add a little more spice if your feeling bold.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1/2 cup of water. This will essentially make a savory broth that you can add to your plate at the end.
- Grits (I used instant) cook really fast once the water is boiling. Adding them in make sure to keep stirring, once they begin to thicken, add your cheddar cheese and black pepper and continue to stir.
- Grab your bowl and plate your meal because breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch is served!
- Don’t forget to pour some broth over your finished product, its the perfect finishing touch!