Who would’ve thought spicy shrimp and cheddar grits would be the perfect pair? This quick and simple recipe is loaded with flavor and can debut at any time of the day, which is why this recipe is as good as gold. Shall we?
- 1-1.5lbs shrimp (deveined and peeled, tail on)
- 4oz of smoked beef sausage (or hot links for extra spice/ turkey for a leaner option)
- 1/2 red and yellow bell pepper, 2 whole habaneros
- 1/4 red onion
- grits (instant)
- whole milk
- cheddar cheese
- spices: red pepper flakes, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper.
- In a sauté pan heated to medium heat, pour a small amount of EVOO. Start a separate small pot of 50/50 water and whole milk to boil for your grits.
- Cut your sausage at an abyss and drop it to sauté and brown. Let this cook for about 3-4 min total flipping them over for consistent sides.
- Drop in your shrimp and sprinkle in your spices (to taste) as well as your red, yellow and habanero peppers and red onions (julienne cut).
- Add 1oz of EVOO and mix around to make sure the flavors are fusing together. Add a little more spice if you’re feeling bold.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1/2 cup of water. This will essentially make a savory broth that you can add to your plate at the end.
- Grits (I used instant) cook really fast once the water/milk is boiling. Adding them in make sure to keep stirring, once they begin to thicken, add your cheddar cheese and 1 table spoon black pepper and salt, continue to stir. This shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes.
- Grab your bowl and plate your meal because breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch is served!
- Don’t forget to pour some broth over your finished product, its the perfect finishing touch!