This Sunday, 9/18, at 10am PST, the Chiefs (1-0) match up against the Texans (1-0) in the city of Houston, for game 2 of the NFL season. The Chiefs family and fans at home are ready to eat yet, another win (at least in my house we are), so let’s get to it!
This weeks tailgate plate is an ode to the Houston Texan’s. With none other than a Texas style steak sandwich sautéed with onions, peppers and flavors, inspired by a Tex-Mex cuisine; paired with a side of fresh grilled corn. This recipe is so easy, you’ll be calling kitchen-plays in no time! Let’s get down to business before kickoff. Who’s hungry for a win?!
- Beef Tri-Tip/ Brisket/ Filet Mignon/ NY Strip Steak (cut into 1-1.5 inch thick cuts).
- 1/4 Red onion (chopped).
- Red Bell pepper (sliced julienne).
- Small white onion bunch (also known as a whole scallion cloves).
- Kings Hawaiian Bread hamburger buns.
- Fresh corn on the cob, shucked and cut into thirds.
- Fresh, chopped parsley.
- 5 bacon strips
- Heinz Texas BBQ sauce.
- Spices: garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, paprika, salted butter (2 sticks)
- Heat your grill to 350 degrees.While that is warming up you will prep your steak to get seared.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your beef cuts as well as all of your spices and toss. When the grill is hot enough place your meat and a few slices of butter to lock in the flavors and sear the outside, each side, for 5min each. The higher the heat, the better the sear, the juicier the steak. Always remember to practice that play when grilling beef. Add your mini onions to the perimeter with some butter on the grill for each bulb as well.
- While your steak is searing, its time to cut and chop down your veggies and bacon. Also, preheat your oven to 275 degrees F. Cut your veggies into long skinny cuts and your bacon is chopped super fine, really just to get the flavor of the bacon for the ultimate Texan sammie!
- Sauté your veggies in a small pot and add in your BBQ sauce to warm up and mix together. In a oven safe baking dish, place your beef cuts, small onions, and BBQ sauce veggie mix to bake for 5min at 275 degrees F.
- Using the heated grill, drop your corn cuts remembering to rotate them ofter for an even cook. Give your corn and upgrade by microwaving butter and fine chopped parsley with dashes of sea salt and pepper, garlic powder and paprika for no more than 10 seconds and drizzle on top. SO good!
- Remove meat after 5min and take out each beef cut one at a time now slicing it down into small, thin strips. Thin enough for a sandwich. See a snippet from my snapchat below:
- After the meat is sliced, put it back in the oven for another 5min to saturate the inside/ center of the cut for the ultimate tenderness and flavor.
- Pop your buns in the oven to toast and get ready to indulge in a game winning sandwich. Sweet, tangy, spicy and did I mention, delicious?!