Granola. A staple grain that is used by so many people all over the world. Whether it’s for breakfast with brown sugar and apples, inside a warm cookie with raisins, or in one of my favorite forms, a granola bar. Growing up with a hard working mommy, grabbing breakfast on the go was her go-to for me. She always made sure I had something to snack on in the early mornings before school.
Now, as a grown up big kid (haha) I’ve grown my own love for making food and snacks from scratch. To be honest, granola bars was the first recipe I’ve ever blogged. So they have a special place in my heart. To up the ante this time around, I decided to add in some of the best protein powder I’ve ever come across. It’s from API and it’s a great protein supplement while the flavor match is true and smooth. Now my granola bars come with a kick! Affordable, tasty and a kick start to anyones busy day. Let’s jump into this simple and affordable recipe shall we?!
- 1/3 cup of chocolate brownie API Protein Powder
- 1.5 cups of instant (raw) oats
- 1 cup of trail mix of your choice. I used Crasin Trail Mix with almonds, peanuts, cashews, crasin’s and chocolate chips.
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon sugar
- 1 stuck of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of honey
- Place your stick of butter and honey in a small pot to melt down on medium-low. Preheat your oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your instant oats, trail mix, cinnamon sugar and API protein powder.
- Once the honey and butter is melted, add the wet mix to your dry and mix well.
- On a flat cookie sheet or oven pan place all your contents and molding into a giant square using a spatula.
- Set in the oven for no more than 10 minutes. This is so all of your nuts can get a little warm and soft, so when it’s time to cut them into bars, its a piece of cake!
- Remove your granola bars from the oven. Using the same spatula, make sure your mold remains in a square, rectangle shape, then throw the entire pan into the freezer to chill for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan and allow them to get closer to room temperature then frozen (if so). Using a pizza cutter, cut long, bar sized, strips horizontally and vertically to make the perfect granola bar.
- Wrap them individually with saran wrap and keep them in the fridge. so tasty so delicious. The fun thing about these is that you can change the ingredients as much as you like, cooking instructions stay the same.
Send me your favorite rendition of your recipe in the comments below, have fun with it and enjoy!