Anxiously waiting and watching the news for daily updates on COVID-19 can be stressful and not to mention, STRESSFUL! Like, what CAN’T we do today? Go outside? Breathe? I know it’s all for the greater good of humanity and trust me, staying at home on a beautiful sunny day is hard but when you know the world is healing you’ve got to believe. The sky is clearer than ever, the birds are chirping and you can hear them instead of car horns and tires screeching. It’s a positive thing to soak in, and just think it’s happening ALL OVER the globe.
I say this to say that we as a people have to stick together not point fingers but encourage one another to be better. This ideology inspired me to make these egg-rolls. Why? It’s a mash up of veggies and flavors from a ‘south of the border’ stance wrapped up into egg-roll wrappers of the far east, or as our POTUS likes to say, “Chi-nah”, smh. It’s a delicious melting pot to say the least.
Plus, these egg-rolls are a great way to clean out your fridge and/ or get creative with what you can put inside of them. Great to make alone or with the family and children alike. Just make sure an adult is present for the frying part, we don’t want no problems. Let’s get to it shall we?
- Cooked chicken
- Black Beans (half a can)
- Shredded carrots (hand full)
- Diced green and red peppers (1/8-1/6 of each)
- Cheddar cheese (hand full)
- Kroger (or any other brand) taco seasoning pack (half)
- Canola or vegetable oil
- Egg-roll wrappers, click here to see an example
- Mix all contents in your bowl
- Place a hand full of the mix on top of one egg-roll paper and spread it out perpendicularly, an X-axis. Connect the bottom left corner up towards the top right corner and begin to roll. tucking in the corners which are left out along the way. I’ve attached a reference here.
- Heat oil in a pan at medium heat. High heat oil will burn the wrappers and you want them to be golden brown not burnt black!
- Depending on your pan and how many egg-rolls you make, the oil should reach AT LEAST half way up the height of your egg-roll.
- Slowly drop them in the pre heated oil and wait about 2-3 min to check the color, keep it golden, if so then flip to the other side and for another 2-3 minutes. You can remove them now and set them on a paper towel atop of a plate or bowl and let them cool before cutting or biting into.
Get a BBQ Mayo or Chipotle dressing or even a Spicy Ranch to dip them in. Get creative have fun. Cooking is all about experiments, trial and error. Enjoy the rolls and let me know what you mixed in yours in the comments below! Have a great day, hands washed and safe inside. 🙂