Carole Baskin killed her husband! WHEW, I said it! That’s one thing for certain in this twilight zone of 2020. With all the chaos going on in the world today, it’s a lot for an individual to take in. From globally to personally there is so much happening and it’s fair to say that in general, its stressful. The key to push through all of this is to remember to stay as sane and organized as possible. Keep a clean house for a clean mental space, check in with loved ones, create a routine, learn you, love you and don’t forget to laugh and dance; jam out! I’ve watched Tiger King as many of us have, and it made me realize how chaotic Joe Exotic was! Being the gemini I am I needed balance and what better way to find it than to cook and make some sweet and simple Sloppy Joe’s. Just with a pinch more class to add to the trailer trash that is the infamous, Joe Exotic. Let’s get to the recipe, shall we?
- 1lb Ground Beef, Turkey, Chicken or vegan black bean patties.
- 1/6 red and green bell pepper
- 1 pack of Hawaiian Rolls or slider buns
- 1-3 russet potatoes (dirty brown)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (8oz needed)
- Pickle chips (spicy, sweet, or dill, up to you)
- Chopped Parsley
- Crumbled Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- SPICES: Italian seasoning, black pepper, cajun seasoning, brown sugar spice or just regular brown sugar, onion powder, crushed red pepper, 1 pack of sloppy joe mix.
- In a mixing bowl combing your 1lb of meat and sloppy joe mix.
- Add a low teaspoon of all your seasonings
- Chop your red and green bell peppers and add 6oz of tomato sauce to the meat mix. Your meat will be very soft because of the sauce Don’t worry, you’ll just have juicy sliders. Mix well and set in the fridge while we prep our baked chips.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. While the oven is warming wash your potatoes. You can either peel them or keep the skin on, I actually like the skin, plus we’re going to be slicing them thin so iss whatever!
- Toss the raw chips in 2 tablespoons of EVOO (olive oil ya’ll), Mrs.Dash garlic herb and Lawry’s Garlic Pepper.
- On an oiled cookie sheet or on aluminum foil place all your raw chips spread apart and not touching one another. Place them in the oven for 8-10 min then remove them let cool for 2 min and flip them all over and put them back in the oven for a few more minutes. You want them crunchy, you know, chips lol. Dust them hot with sea salt, parmesan and fresh parsley toss and enjoy a few, why not?!
- Remove the meat mixture from the fridge and using a 2oz scoop grab a meatball shape and start to flatten them using your hands into slider size patties.
- You can use a charcoal/ gas grill or use a cast iron skillet as I did. Whatever you do make sure the surface is oiled and HOT! The patties because of the tomato sauce are more susceptible to break. So be gentle during the handling process.
- For a nice medium-well finish let one side sear for 4-5 minutes then once that side has browned, flip and let that side finish for another 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let them rest.
- Using your rolls/ buns spread some heated tomato sauce (2oz can be heated stovetop or microwave (is best). Add your patties and top them with lettuce and pickle chips. I used spicy pickles because I’m a hot mama. wink
Enjoy your not so messy, not so YOU (Joe), not so Exotic (Joe), organized and neat, Sloppy Joe’s. Shoutout to Netflix!