Postmates, UberEats, Eat24, the fees and prices and WHEW CHILE the wait times! This day I just couldn’t take it. In 95min (my minimum delivery wait time for Benihana lunch) I could’ve grocery shopped, cooked and ate with more than over 50% in savings and spare me 30min to make with leftovers included! So let me share my recipe with y’all. Great idea for a date night at home with bae or kitchen fun with the kids. Let’s dive in shall we?
- Chicken (3 thin sliced breast fillets)
- Steak (1-2 filet mignon or a boneless smaller cut steak)
- Cooked white rice (3cups)
- Frozen peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/6 chopped white onion
- 1 zuchini
- 5 sliced white or bella mushrooms
- 1 stick of butter
- SPICES: ginger powder, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, sea salt, garlic pepper.
Let’s start with the rice. This is the lengthiest process but nothing takes long for this dish so be prepared to eat soon, don’t have to wait for the onion volcano or choo-choo train.
- In a heated wide & flat pan, add in 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and finely chopped white onion. Then add in 1 thin sliced & DICED chicken breast filet. Toss and brown.
- Add in the 3-4 cups of cooked rice, 2 tablespoons of butter, 1/4-1/3 cup of soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. Toss to make sure the rice is coated with all ingredients.
- Add frozen peas and carrots and a few shakes of sesame seeds.
- You may/ can add more sesame oil to make the rice even crispier. The key if you don’t have a wok pan is to make sure you’re repeatedly tossing the rice don’t let it sit too long or it’ll turn into a crunch when it’s sitting long on the pans surface.
- Move your fried rice over and crack two eggs on the empty side. Let scramble and mix well with your rice. Remove from heat and set pan aside.
- Warm two other pans. One for veggies and one for meat. The meat was pre-seasoned with garlic pepper, sea salt and ginger powder.
- For the veggies: cut 1/6 of the onion and keep the pieces fairly large chunks or into strips. Brown onions in pan with 1 tablespoon butter. While that’s browning. Cut zucchini the long way into fourths. The cut each strip into 1 inch pieces. Add zucchini and chopped mushrooms to your caramelized onions and toss on medium heat. Add dashes of garlic pepper and sea salt. Should be done in no more then 10 min.
- For the meat: I used a flat sesame oiled cast iron skillet. Make sure it’s warmed and ready before adding your meat to the pan (major key). Drop in your meat. Let it sizzle and cook on one side. For chicken 3-4 min each side (it’s thin) for the steak 5-7 min depending on how thick the cut is for medium/medium rare temperature. After the initial side is cooked flip to the other raw side and add a teaspoon of butter to the pan near the chicken or steak. Retains juiciness and moisture. Remove from heat and let rest for about 3min then proceed to bust out your killer (please be safe) knife skills (just cut strips) lol.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, sriracha sauce or green onions annnnd you did it! All under 10 steps and you’re ready for a $100 hibachi dinner, just watch out where you throw that spatula! 😂