This Sunday, 9/18, at 10am PST, the Chiefs (1-0) match up against the Texans (1-0) in the city of Houston, for game 2 of the NFL season. The Chiefs family and fans at home are ready to eat yet, another win (at least in my house we are), so let’s get to it!
This weeks tailgate plate is an ode to the Houston Texan’s. With none other than a Texas style steak sandwich sautéed with onions, peppers and flavors, inspired by a Tex-Mex cuisine; paired with a side of fresh grilled corn. This recipe is so easy, you’ll be calling kitchen-plays in no time! Let’s get down to business before kickoff. Who’s hungry for a win?!
- Beef Tri-Tip/ Brisket/ Filet Mignon/ NY Strip Steak (cut into 1-1.5 inch thick cuts).
- 1/4 Red onion (chopped).
- Red Bell pepper (sliced julienne).
- Small white onion bunch (also known as a whole scallion cloves).
- Kings Hawaiian Bread hamburger buns.
- Fresh corn on the cob, shucked and cut into thirds.
- Fresh, chopped parsley.
- 5 bacon strips
- Heinz Texas BBQ sauce.
- Spices: garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, paprika, salted butter (2 sticks)
- Heat your grill to 350 degrees.While that is warming up you will prep your steak to get seared.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your beef cuts as well as all of your spices and toss. When the grill is hot enough place your meat and a few slices of butter to lock in the flavors and sear the outside, each side, for 5min each. The higher the heat, the better the sear, the juicier the steak. Always remember to practice that play when grilling beef. Add your mini onions to the perimeter with some butter on the grill for each bulb as well.
- While your steak is searing, its time to cut and chop down your veggies and bacon. Also, preheat your oven to 275 degrees F. Cut your veggies into long skinny cuts and your bacon is chopped super fine, really just to get the flavor of the bacon for the ultimate Texan sammie!
- Sauté your veggies in a small pot and add in your BBQ sauce to warm up and mix together. In a oven safe baking dish, place your beef cuts, small onions, and BBQ sauce veggie mix to bake for 5min at 275 degrees F.
- Using the heated grill, drop your corn cuts remembering to rotate them ofter for an even cook. Give your corn and upgrade by microwaving butter and fine chopped parsley with dashes of sea salt and pepper, garlic powder and paprika for no more than 10 seconds and drizzle on top. SO good!
- Remove meat after 5min and take out each beef cut one at a time now slicing it down into small, thin strips. Thin enough for a sandwich. See a snippet from my snapchat below:
- After the meat is sliced, put it back in the oven for another 5min to saturate the inside/ center of the cut for the ultimate tenderness and flavor.
- Pop your buns in the oven to toast and get ready to indulge in a game winning sandwich. Sweet, tangy, spicy and did I mention, delicious?!
This week I went to Chili’s for lunch. My first sponsored ad! They must know the way to my heart is through my stomach and I couldn’t refuse the offer.
I had the pleasure of ordering a new menu selection, their Lunch Double Burger Special. It comes with a craft burger, fries and a side salad or soup and is only $6! Super affordable and tasty! The selection is a perfect Cali burger than any native can appreciate. Check it out and tell them I sent you!
Who would’ve thought spicy shrimp and cheddar grits would be the perfect pair? This quick and simple recipe is loaded with flavor and can debut at any time of the day, which is why this recipe is as good as gold. Shall we?
- 1-1.5lbs shrimp (deveined and peeled, tail on)
- 4oz of smoked beef sausage (or hot links for extra spice/ turkey for a leaner option)
- 1/2 red and yellow bell pepper, 2 whole habaneros
- 1/4 red onion
- cheddar cheese
- spices: red pepper flakes, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper.
- In a sauté pan heated to medium heat, pour a small amount of EVOO.Start a small pot of water to boil for your grits.
- Slice your sausage and drop it in. Let this cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Drop in your shrimp and sprinkle in your spices.
- While those are cooking, thin cut your peppers and red onions (julienne) and drop those in as well.
- Mix your shrimp mix around and make sure the flavors are fusing together. Add a little more spice if your feeling bold.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1/2 cup of water. This will essentially make a savory broth that you can add to your plate at the end.
- Grits (I used instant) cook really fast once the water is boiling. Adding them in make sure to keep stirring, once they begin to thicken, add your cheddar cheese and black pepper and continue to stir.
- Grab your bowl and plate your meal because breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch is served!
- Don’t forget to pour some broth over your finished product, its the perfect finishing touch!
Summer heat. A perfect excuse to give your stove/ oven a rest and stay in front of an opened fridge a little longer than usual (don’t waste energy now). To the people like me who don’t have A.C., try your best to control your hanger! This heat can get out of hand and so can you. So what can you make that’s effortless, cool, quick and filling?
I had been snacking on some amazing Muscato Grapes from Melissa’s produce that I had in the freezer. They’re super sweet and delicious to add to any summer salad or just eat right away, and trust, they’re super addicting. I occasionally pop them in glasses of wine. They’re perfect to keep the glass chilled without watering down the wine, think of it like adding grapes to grapes, cant hurt right?! Well let’s move on to the sandwich, shall we?
Ingredients: (serves 2-3 sandwiches)
- Muscato Grapes
- 2 cans of Tuna
- 4-5oz of hummus (I used caramelized onion hummus but you can choose any flavor of your liking).
- handful of cilantro (chopped fine).
- wheat bread
- spices: black pepper, garlic salt, ms. dash’s all purpose salt-free seasoning.
- I pulled 20 grapes out of the freezer and cut them in half, set them to the side.
- I opened two cans of tuna, drained them and set them in a mixing bowl.
- empty your hummus in the mixing bowl
- include your chopped cilantro and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Now add in your grapes and mix again.
- toast your bread to your liking and grab a spoon so you can spread about your delicious tuna salad. For an even more simple way, grab a bag of pita chips and enjoy, super yum!
Maybe I’ve given up on love, the kind outside of the fridge lol. Either way it goes, it’s fueled me to make an easy, yet simple, and simply delicious meal. Continue reading “Valentine’s Day Surf + Turf PLUS Strawberry Henn-tini’s!”
Like I’m the only one who ever wanted this sacred deliciousness on a Sunday! How dare they shut down their business for religious reasons, okay, let me chill because everyone should be off on a Sunday. I’m just salty, but why be salty when you can skip the drive through and bring it on home!
- Chicken breasts
- Grands buttermilk biscuits
- Romaine lettuce
- 2-3 cups Flour
- Frying pan with vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 small Watermelon
- Littlehouse Homestyle Ranch
- 1 bottle of Wyder’s raspberry cider
- Fresh Raspberries
Heat your frying pan with vegetable oil enough to submerge the chick on medium heat. Careful to not have your oil super hot because if it’s too hot, it can immediately burn the flour and stop you from having crispy golden chicken. Using three plates you will create an egg wash. One to season the chicken, two to use an egg wash to coat the chicken and three to flip it around in your flour mix.
Bake your grands biscuits in the oven and cut them in half. Prep your mini melon in slices to have as a healthy choice side along side your chicken and biscuits, try to make it a little less sinful lol.
Never mind, we’re adding more sin because here comes the hard raspberry cider. Sorry its Sunday but how can you say no?! Spread your ranch and cut your tomato slices, snap off some romaine and build your chicken sandwich, bomb!
**Pour a glass of Wyder’s raspberry cider and drop some fresh ones in to top it off! Enjoy this treat on a Sunday, get more for your money and save some gas. The cows will thank you.