Trying to spread the word on eating vegan can be difficult, especially in areas that aren’t exposed or used to it. I partnered up with the Grocery Outlet of Compton, a bargain market grocery store that sells the food you love and need at a lower price than the chained competitors. Shopping here is right up my alley. I live to make delicious food on a dime and keeping healthy is my main concern. Today i was blessed to pass out samples of my personal recipe for a warm and cozy autumn favorite, my vegan chili. Let’s get down to it shall we?
Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
- Fine chopped small bag of baby Carrots
- 2 fine chopped Celery sticks and 2 others whole
- 1/2 White onion
- Medium can of Diced tomato
- 4 small cans of Kidney beans
- 2 diced Sweet potatoes
- 1/2 diced Butternut squash
- 2 jalapeños (seeded and minced)
- 1 shucked ear of corn
- 2 table spoons minced garlic
- 1 fine chopped red bell pepper
- SPICES: kosher salt, black pepper, chili powder, crushed red chili flakes, sugar.
- On a sauté pan brown whole baby carrots (10) half of your onion and celery sticks (2) cut into 3-4 inch pieces.
- Filling a large pot with water we are going to make homemade vegetable stock. Boil down your sautéed veggies with a can of crushed/ diced tomatoes adding a table spoon of salt and pepper.
- While the broth is cooking, this is the time you can use to chop, dice and slice all your veggies and strain your kidney beans from their liquid. Once your pot has come to a boil, strain the broth and remove the boiled veggies to purée in a blender (this will go back in your soup for your broth to be thicker).
- Before adding in your raw veggies, taste the broth for sodium and spice content. Now add in all other spices slowly at a time to your liking. Like extra heat? Throw more chili flakes or cayenne pepper! Like it sweeter? Add more sugar. Now it’s time to throw in all your veggies and beans.
- Let your soup come to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Let soup cook for another 20-30min. The slower the longer the better. Since there is no meat in your soup, feel free to taste test any time! Just don’t eat it all before dinner. Enjoy!
- Fry some pre sliced strips of tortilla for an extra crunch while staying vegan or cornbread if you want to be naughty!
Thanks to everyone who came out today at the Grocery Outlet in Compton! Was truly a pleasure meeting all of you and changing some of your minds to eating plant based meals on occasion from never! You’re awesome, see you all again next Friday!!